Cades Cove Obituaries
Site © Copyright 1-2005~03 by Gloria Motter, All Rights Reserved
Kara Gregory

A man who loved sharing the history of his boyhood home has now become a part of that history.

Kara Gregory, a descendant of the Gregory family of Cades Cove, passed away Wednesday at Blount Memorial Hospital Transitional Care Center. He was 91 years old.
Gregory was born in Cades Cove Feb. 20, 1913 to William and Katharine Tipton Gregory His love of the tight-knit mountain community where he spent his early years never wavered and his remarkable memory of people, places and events of the Cove was often called upon by others in search of their roots.
In an April 2003 meeting of the Cades Cove Preservation Association, Gregory described life in Cades Cove.
``A lot of us weren't kin but we felt like it,'' he said. ``We went to school together, went to church together. ... We didn't have much in worldly goods, but we had enough.''
Gregory vividly recalled the first airplane he saw in Cades Cove, ``a little cracker box deal,'' he said. ``It was a sight, something we hadn't seen, something new.''
He also recalled the first radio he heard.
``It screeched and it squalled,'' he said. ``I never did hear a word. It was a station out of Cincinnati. I was very disappointed.''
Gregory was always quick to dispel the misconceptions about Cades Cove, especially that the people were illiterate.
``There were three schools in Cades Cove,'' he said. ``Everybody ought to know that most of the families thought it was important that children went to school and learned to read and write and cipher. ... People haven't been told. Some writers portray life here a certain way to sell their product.''
Gregory was predeceased by his wife of 64 years, Martha Pack Gregory. He is survived by his sister, Kathleen Schultz of Maryville, brother Lawrence Gregory of Knoxville, children and their spouses, Glenn and Sue Gregory Head of Dunedin, Fla., Kara Jr. and Debbie Gregory of Maryville, Armand and Judy Gregory Celentano of Bristol, Jim Gregory and his fiancee Mary Gregory of Maryville, nine grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren, and numerous nieces, nephews and other relatives.
The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at Miller Funeral Home with the funeral to follow at 8 p.m. Interment will be at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Grandview Cemetery.
2004-04-15 by Linda Braden Albert of The Daily Times Staff

Thelma Elizabeth (Greene) Davis, age 86, of Alcoa, passed away Saturday, September 4, 2004, at Asbury Acres Health Center. She was a member of First Baptist Church of Alcoa. Preceded in death by husband, Charles Edwin Davis; parents, John and Vertie Greene; brother, John Greene Jr.; sister, Edna Greene. Survivors include: son and daughter-in-law, Michael and Robin Davis of Friendsville; daughters and sons-in-law, Betty and Glenn Garner of Louisville, Wanda and Russ Cox of Knoxville, Donna and Jerry Hardwick of Louisville; grandchildren, Kelli Biggs of Maryville, Kent Thomas of Ala., Keith Thomas of Guadalajara, Mexico, Doug Nolte of Knoxville, Scott Nolte of Alcoa, Christopher Hardwick of Maryville and Elizabeth Hardwick of Louisville; great-grandchildren, Grace Biggs, David Biggs, Anna Katherine Biggs, Maggie Biggs, Christina Thomas, Lydia Thomas, Sara Beth Thomas, David Thomas, Josiah Thomas; brothers, Homer Greene of Nashville, Howard Greene of Alcoa, Walter Greene of Friendsville and Eugene Greene of South Carolina; sisters, Mildred Myers of Maryville, Ethel Derrick of Ill., Francis Prichard of Ala., Helen Bell of Alcoa; several nieces and nephews. Funeral services are 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, September 7, 2004, in the Trinity Chapel of Smith Mortuary with the Rev. Henry Linginfelter officiating. Family and friends will assemble at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, September 8, 2004, at Grandview Cemetery. Family will receive friends from 6:00 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, September 7, 2004, in the Trinity Chapel of Smith Mortuary, Maryville, 983-1000.
The Daily Times, Maryville, Tennessee Sept. 7, 2004 submitted by Linda Albert
Daughter of John Green and Vertie Effler
Vertie was the daughter of Tom Effler and Luraine Oliver
Luraine Oliver was the daughter of William Thomas Oliver and Martha Harveston
William Oliver was the son of John Oliver and Lurena Frazier


John N. (Thannie) Hembree, age 95 of Townsend died Wednesday, April 21, 2004 at the family home. He was a decedent of Cades Cove, worked for Little River Lumber Company, was retired from the Alcoa Aluminum Company as a member of the 25 Year Club and was a farmer. He was of the Primitive Baptist faith. Preceded in death by: wife of 63 years, Nellie L. Hembree; parents, John L. and Mary J. Hembree; sons, Carl Hembree, Glenn Hembree, and Wendell Hembree; daughter, Ruth Massey; sisters, Lula Melton, Edna Trentham; brothers, Earl Hembree, Howell Hembree, Paul Hembree and Conard Hembree. Survivors include: son and daughter-in-law, Harold and Peggy Hembree of Maryville; daughter, Lois Reagan of Townsend; sister Lucy Huskey of Maryville; daughters-in-law, Gloria Hembree of Maryville, Eula Hembree of Townsend and Joyce Hembree of Maryville; son-in-law, Warren Massey of Sevierville; sisters-in-law, Mary Melton of Maryville, Dorothy Hembree and Georgia Mae Mack of Kingston; 12 grandchildren; 18 great-grandchildren; several nieces and nephews. Funeral service will be at 8:00 p.m., Friday, April 23, 2004 in the Trinity Chapel of Smith Mortuary with Elder Shirley Henry and Rev. Greg Long officiating. Family and friends will assemble at 11:00 a.m., Saturday, April 24, 2004 at Tuckaleechee Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery for the interment. Family will receive friends from 6:00 until 8:00 p.m., Friday, April 23, 2004, Trinity Chapel, Smith Mortuary, Maryville, 865-983-1000,

Son of John Louis Hembree and Mary Jane Abbott
John Louis Hembree was the son of John Derise Hembree and Mary Alice Odom
John Derise Hembree was the son of Alfred Hembree and Lucy J. Murray
Alfred Hembree was the son of Uriah Hembree and Elizabeth Oliver
Elizabeth Oliver was the daughter of Elijah Oliver and Mary Jane Lawson

Mother Mary Jane Abbott was the daughter of Nathaniel Franklin Abbott and Elizabeth Oliver
The Daily Times, Maryville, Tennessee January 16, 2003 submitted by Linda Albert


Junior Ray Oliver, age 66 passed away Tuesday evening Jan 14 2003 at Blount Memorial Hospital. Preceded in death by his parents, Elder Carry C. Oliver and Ida Ellen Stinnett Oliver; brother, Robert Wesley Oliver; sister, Margie Mary Lee Burns; a stepson, Steve Wayne Lawson.
Junior Ray Oliver was descendent of the Cades Cove Oliver's. He was a member of Lamp Light Full Gospel Church. He will be greatly missed.
Survivors include son, Johnny Ray Oliver and wife Lori, Sevier Co.; daughters, Joy B. Poe and husband, Tim of Maryville, Donna Holsenback of Gainsville Ga.; several grandchildren and great grandchildren; brothers include: Rev. Roy Oliver, Donald Eugene Oliver of Maryville; sisters, Edith Oliver Hembree of Maryville, Gladys Oliver Burns of Walland TN.; several nieces and nephews.
Funeral Services will be at 8:00 p.m. Thursday at Memorial Funeral Home with The Rev. Donnie Morton and The Rev. Kenneth Sullivan officiating. Family will receive friends 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Family and friends will meet at 2:00 p.m. Friday at Bethel Cemetery in Townsend for graveside service.
The Daily Times, Maryville, Tennessee Mar 22, 2004 submitted by Linda Albert


Pleasant Calvin Shields, 85, of Maryville died peacefully Saturday, March 20, 2004 at home. He was born in Cades Cove, TN, March 11, 1919, to parents George Henry and Polly Angline Gregory Shields. In addition to his parents he was preceded in death by his wife Georgie Rogers Shields and son Ronald Shields. He was a member of Mt. Lebanon Baptist Church, and Alcoa Twenty-Five Year Club, he worked for Alcoa for 39 Years. He is survived by his son George C. Shields of Louisville; grandchildren: Terri and William Bobo Jr., George C. Shields II; great-grandchildren: Dawn M. Riddick, and William P. Bobo III; great-great-granddaughter: Georgie Michelle Riddick, all of Maryville. The family and friends will meet at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, March 24, 2004, at Mt. Lebanon Cemetery for graveside services with full Military Honors.

Polly Ann Gregory (1883-1973) was the daughter of Calvin Gregory and Emmaline Headrick Gregory.
Her Grandparents, on her father's side, were Druary and Martha Brown Gregory. Russell Gregory, for whom Gregory Bald is named, was her Great Grandfather. Her Great Grandparents also included Jesse Brown Sr. and
Mary Proctor Brown.
George Shields was the son of Andrew Witt Shields and Anna C. Walker
Andrew Witt Shields was the son of Henry Harrison Shields and Martha Oliver
Henry H. Shields was the son of Robert Shields and Margaret Emmert
Tip: To find a surname listed on this page
Click on Edit
Find (on this page) Ctrl +F
Type in the name, click "Find next" or enter
William M. ``Tincy'' Post

Bill Post, 87, last great-grandchild of Calvin Post, dies age 87 
Long-time residents of Blount County have at least heard of ``The Post Place'' in Cades Cove.
Those more familiar with local history will recall having read that Dr. Calvin Post settled in Cades Cove in 1847, having moved here from Elmira, N. Y. Although he had a degree in medicine, he practiced geology and exploration to a greater degree. He was interested in mineral exploration.
Dr. Post's homeplace, a virtual botanical garden, was called Laurel Springs and was located in Cades Cove near the start of the Parsons Branch Road. However, locally it was much better known as simply ``The Post Place.'' It was also a place that a few friends in the Maryville-Alcoa area were able to go and spend the night while hunting deer in days before Great Smoky Mountains National Park was established.
His grandson, John Calvin Post III and wife Martha Gregory Post, established their home at the top of a rise on the south side of Sevierville Road on the town side of Coulter Florists. They raised four sons and six daughters, all of whom left a favorable impact on the area.
William M. ``Tincy'' Post, the last surviving great-grandchild, died Friday at 87. He was retired from ALCOA and a deacon at Mount Lebanon Baptist Church. Those who grew up with him thought perhaps he got his nickname because of his height which was 6 feet 6 inches. Bill grew up with the sons of Charles R. Coulter Sr. and H. Lee Speer, all of whom attended Everett High School.
His brother Leonard did not survive World War II service. He was lost when his plane crashed in the Pacific shortly after the war. He served in the Air Force and Post Avenue at McGhee Tyson Airbase is named in his honor.
His brother James C. ``Jim'' Post spent more than 40 years with ALCOA, serving in the Tennessee Operations as well as in Pittsburgh, Pa., as head of its Furalco facilities in Japan and President-Director of P.T. ALCOA Minerals in Indonesia.
Robert was involved in the stock market and lived mostly in the east and Midwest. He was living in Cleveland, Ohio, at the time of his death. He was also involved in photography and was an inventor.
The sisters were Nina Post, Hester Post, Stella Post, Kathleen Post, Lela Post McJunkins and Jonnie Post Anderson.
Nina died about age 15 and Hester at just over a year, not uncommon at the turn on the century.
Stella, Kathleen and Jonnie were all well known local public school teachers, having taught in the Maryville system.
Lela Post McJunkins' husband was employed by ALCOA at Badin, N. C., where she taught in the public schools.

This family of great-grandchildren has left a major impact for the good of mankind on Blount County, the areas in which they have lived and the metals world just as Dr. Calvin Post left on the Cades Cove area of Blount County.
Published in the Maryville Times 12-27-2004  submitted by Gloria Motter

William “Lee” Tipton
(see photo on main page)
Age 86 of Maryville passed away Dec. 7, 2004 at his home. He was preceded in death by wife, Anna M. Tipton. Parents Rev. & Mrs. Johnnie Tipton. Sisters; Ruth Myers, & Lois Lane; brothers, Vernie & Roy Tipton. Mr. Tipton was a descendent  where he was born and spent his early years growing up and going to school. He retired from Alcoa and was a member of their Fifty-Year Club, He joined the Cades Cove Memorial Baptist Church when it was organized and was a choir leader for more than 20 years. He also was a lead singer for the Old Cades Cove Quartet. He attended Piney Level Baptist Church. Survivors include daughter Phyllis & Jessie Myers; Granddaughter, Kimberly White. Interment December 10th 2004 at Cades Cove Memorial Baptist Cemetery.
Edward L. “Eddie” Myers
Charles Coada
Jerry Coada
Roy Coada

William Hardy Sparks

William Hardy Sparks, a colorful son of Cades Cove, died Monday evening at Blount Memorial Hospital. He was 95 years old.
Sparks, better known as ``Tige'' or ``Bill,'' was born June 21, 1910, in Cades Cove to John Marion ``Golddigger'' Sparks and Elizabeth Jane Shuler Sparks. He was the fifth of nine children.
``He was one of the last people left who was born in Cades Cove,'' said his daughter, Carol Sparks Gregory. ``Not many people can say they drove a mule wagon and also saw the space shuttle.''
Gregory said her father pursued a variety of careers in his lifetime beginning at an early age. By the time he entered his 20s, she said, Sparks had experience working in logging camps, where he cooked and washed dishes for his father. Gregory also said Sparks worked as a bootlegger and moonshiner, and worked on various road projects driving a team of mules hauling dirt.
He later owned and operated a grocery store and a gas station, drove a taxi, was a justice of the peace and ran for the office of road commissioner. He was employed at ALCOA Inc. several times, and for 19 years, operated Sparks Bus Line, providing transportation for ALCOA Inc. employees in the Calderwood/Happy Valley area of Blount County.
The Cades Cove native invested in an 18-wheeler, hoping to make a better living for his family, after ceasing the bus route. Tragedy struck a short time later when his partner crashed the vehicle as they were driving through Arizona. Sparks survived the fiery crash, but lost his memory for two weeks. A portion of his burned billfold gave police the only clue to his identity.
Sparks subsequently worked as a Blount County jailer then took a position with the city of Alcoa, where he worked 15 years. He retired 33 years ago.
Sparks married Billie R. Rose of Madisonville on Jan. 3, 1931. They celebrated 74 years of marriage before her death. Their family included seven children.
He was a founding member of Birchfield Baptist Church, later joining East Alcoa Baptist Church where he was an active member. He was also a Mason.
Sparks was preceded in death by his wife; daughter Christine Clark; son Robert O. Sparks; three sisters and two brothers.
Survivors include daughters, Jean Blevins and Carol Gregory, sons, Keith Sparks, Neil Sparks and Clell Sparks; 12 grandchildren; 19 great-grandchildren; one sister; and two brothers.
Funeral service will be held at 8 p.m. Thursday at Miller Funeral Home Magnolia Chapel, with the Rev. Alvin Patton, the Rev. Beecher Whitehead and the Rev. Eric Dolittle officiating. The graveside service and interment will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Grandview Cemetery.
The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Miller Funeral Home.
Submitted by Linda Braden Albert of The Daily Times Staff
Charles Henry Coada
For the second time in the space of a week, the extended Cades Cove family has lost one of its own.
Charles Henry Coada of Walland, son of William and Cordelia Boring Coada, died Thursday at Blount Memorial Hospital. He was 98.

Coada was preceded in death by his parents; wife, Eula Myers Coada; and his eight siblings, James A. ``Jim'' Coada, John Coada, Floyd Coada, Kara Coada, Rufus Coada, Vina Coada Boone, Ellen Coada Buchanan and Bertha Coada Cable.

``He was the last one of them still living,'' said his nephew, Roy Coada of Maryville and son of John Coada. ``I was around them since I was old enough to know anybody. It's not easy losing them all, but I'm glad for the privilege I had of knowing them.''
Roy Coada said ``Uncle Charlie'' was born in January 1907 in the Richwoods area of Happy Valley. He lived in Cades Cove from 1925 to 1932 and was well-liked by his friends and neighbors.
``He was a hard-working man, good-natured, and liked to be around people,'' Roy said. ``He liked to do woodworking and restorations.''
One of Charles Coada's projects began about 30 years ago when he bought the old Hesse Creek Mill at West Millers Cove and restored it, Roy said. The mill is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Charles Coada worked for a lumber company in Western North Carolina as a young man. He subsequently was employed at ALCOA Inc., where he retired after more than 40 years of service.
``He got the job at ALCOA back in the 1930's when you practically had to buy a job here,'' Roy said. ``That was right after the Depression.''
Charles Coada is survived by his wife, Mary Helen Coada; daughter and son-in-law, Loretta and Jeff Teaster of Townsend; grandsons Jonathan and Dallas Teaster of Townsend; numerous nieces, nephews and special friends.
Funeral service and visitation were held Friday at Smith Mortuary with the Rev. Fate Green and the Rev. Chris Teaster officiating. Interment will be at 11 a.m. today at Bethel Cemetery, Townsend.

Another Cades Cove son, William Hardy ``Tige'' Sparks, died Monday. He was born in Cades Cove in 1910, the son of John Marion ``Golddigger'' Sparks and Elizabeth Jane Shuler Sparks.
2005-07-09 by Linda Braden Albert of The Daily Times Staff
Noah Burchfield
The following obituary for Noah Burchfield was provided by “A Neighbor” in the February 11, 1935 edition of The Maryville Times. Uncle Noah and Aunt Sarah were among the most loved and respected residents of Cades Cove. Their home place was in the western end of the Cove, bordering Abrams Creek and near the Elijah Oliver home place.

Noah Burchfield was born March 1, 1849 and peacefully departed this life December 23, 1934, age 85 years, 9 months and 22 days. He was a son of Robert Burchfield and Mary M. Gregory Burchfield. He was a grandson of Russell Gregory from whom Gregory Bald took its name, among the early pioneer settlers of Cades Cove. The records show that Robert Burchfield and his first wife, Elizabeth Burchfield, joined the Old Baptist Church of Cades Cove by letters, as deacon and deaconess, January 17, 1835. This was before the Baptist Family divided. On September 15, 1838, the Baptist Family in Cades Cove divided and Robert Burchfield and Elizabeth Burchfield  and others went with the side known as Missionary Baptists. Robert and Elizabeth came from Buncombe County, North Carolina. The records show that in those days of restlessness, when people were roaming over the mountains in search of new and fertile localities, that they carried in their possessions their church letters or credentials, which served as a good recommendation for them. This was true in many cases among the pioneer settlers of Cades Cove. This seems to have been a custom handed down by our fore fathers who came from Europe. We find in the emigration records of Boston, Massachusetts many proofs of this custom.
Robert Burchfield was married twice, first to Elizabeth Hill. To this union were born 8 children viz: Jess, Nathan, Bert and Kie, Mrs. Marinda Fisher, Mrs. Nancy Adams, Mrs. Avery Riller Davis, and Mrs. Bascia Celier and perhaps others whose names cannot be recalled. Second he was married to Mary Moriah Gregory. To this union were born 6 children viz: John, Russell, Charles, Noah, and Drewry and Mrs. Susan Cable, none of whom are living.
On February 25, 1869, Noah Burchfield was married to Sarah Jane Brown. To this union were born 9 children viz: Mrs. Martha A. Myers of Cades Cove, Russell D. Burchfield, deceased, Mary J Burchfield, deceased, Charles A. Burchfield, of Maryville, Mrs. Susan Elizabeth Myers of Rockford, John H. Burchfield of Cades Cove, Mrs. Nancy A. Tipton of Walland, Jessie Y. Burchfield, deceased, and Mrs. Lula B. Tipton, deceased. He leaves 35 grandchildren, 40 great grandchildren, and 2 or more great great grandchildren. He was the last surviving member of his father’s large family. He had three full brothers who scouted through the Confederate lines into Kentucky and joined the Union Army at the beginning of the Civil War viz: John, Russell and Charles. Only one of these ever returned home again. John returned home and a few years later was drowned near Rockwood, Tennessee.
Uncle Noah was only 13 years old when the War broke out. His father, having died sometime before, left the responsibilities and care of his mother and other members of the family on his shoulders. He was faithful and true to the trust thus thrust upon him. Although at one time during this awful struggle, a band of Confederate soldiers came through the Cove and took the only horse left him and carried Uncle Noah, just a boy, to the outskirts of the Cove and there, at the bitter protests of an old man, released him to go back to his mother. Uncle Noah, though unlearned, had a most wonderful recollection and memory of past history of the Cove. He was one of the most interesting characters one ever met. His whole life was spent on the same farm on which he was born.
He was greatly disturbed and worried in his last years because of being forced to sell out his old historic home and the consequent loss of same in bank failure. This no doubt coupled with the infirmities of old age brought about his untimely end. In addition to the great host of relatives and wide circle of friends both far and near, Uncle Noah is survived by his pious, loving and most devoted wife who is 2 years his senior.
To meet and know this dear aged couple was an inspiration to a nobler and higher life. Their long, useful lives have been full of deeds of kindness to their neighbors and fellow men. The most eloquent tribute that could be paid to such lives would only be a futile attempt to honor their memory.
As a citizen and neighbor, Uncle Noah almost stood in a class by himself. His ideals and standards of living were far above board. From his lips no guile ever fell. He was looked upon and admired as a model character. His veracity, honesty, and integrity was never questioned. His highest standard was truth, honesty and law abiding. He could not sympathize with a willing violator. A more loyal citizen could not be found. He did not only talk these things but he practiced them every day of his long, useful life. As a neighbor, none better ever lived. He did not have to be sent for. He visited his neighbors regularly to learn of their necessities. He considered it not only a duty but a great privilege to go among his neighbors and administer to them in times of trouble and distress, at all times attending the funerals in his community and shedding a tear of sympathy. As a husband and father, none were more kind, loving and devoted.
He gained a hope in Christ in early life but never united with any church until September 1909, at which time he united with the First Baptist Church of Cades Cove and remained a loyal member until death. As a Christian and church member, he was most meek and humble, yet loyal and true as steel. He did his work in a very quiet, non-assuming manner, choosing the humblest office in the church. He chose to be a doorkeeper in the home of his God rather than dwell in the tents of wickedness. Thus a long and useful life has been spent. A model character has vanished from our mortal view.
His worried and faded body rests from all toil and pain. His immortal soul has gone back to God who gave it. His life stands as a great monument to his memory. Friends and relatives lift up your heads. Oh! Ye sorrowing ones and try to emulate the life that has just gone, and strive to meet all our loved ones on the Shining Shore.
Funeral services were conducted by John W. Oliver and the earthly remains were laid to rest in the cemetery of the First Baptist Church of Cades Cove (Missionary Baptist Church) beneath a beautiful blanket of flowers. Many friends and acquaintances from all over the County attended his burial.  A Neighbor     
Submitted by Dave Post
Submit Your Cades Cove Obits
Master Sgt. Jerry T. Coada
Master Sgt. Jerry T. Coada US Air Force Retired, age 70 passed away Tuesday, March 28, 2006, at Blount Memorial Hospital from a battle with lung cancer. He served 20 years in the Air Force, serving in the states, Panama, Vietnam and South Pacific taking part in the testing of Atomic Bombs. Upon his discharge, he was employed by TVA and retired there.
He was born in Cades Cove to John C. Coada and Mary Jane Cable Coada, who preceded him in death. Also preceded by a brother, Arvil Ray Coada; and first wife Juanita Coada. He is survived by: wife, Ginger Woods Coada; son and daughter-in-law, Derril & Crystal Coada; grandsons, Dillon & Dustin Coada; sons and daughters-in-law, Mark & Deana Coada, Mike and Rachael Coada; and granddaughter, Michaela Coada; daughter, Sharon Palmer; stepdaughter and husband, Buffy & Terry McGill; stepdaughter, April Moses and Paul Mingie; stepgrandchildren, Courtney & Peyton McGill, and Logan, Tiffany, & Bethany Moses; mother-in-law, Bonnie B. Gamble; loving brothers and sisters, Roy Coada, Faye Johnson, Johnnie Shinpaugh, June Jones, Leon Coada and Mary Ruth Hunt; sister-in-law & husband, Diane and Jeff Patterson; brothers-in-law & wives, Sanford and Amy Gamble, Don & Helen Gamble, Bob & Charolette Gamble, Wayne & Fleta Gamble; and a host of nieces, nephews, and friends.
Submitted by: Gloria Motter from the Daily Times
Edward L. “Eddie” Myers

Edward L. “Eddie” Myers, age 54, of Knoxville, passed away Thursday, September 27, 2007 due to a job-related accident. He was a member of Mt. Olive Baptist Church. Eddie was the author of Cades Cove Rowan Powell Burchfield Connection and contributed several books to Knoxville, Maryville and surrounding libraries. He was a 25 year employee of Ready Mix. Preceded in death by father, Bill Myers and grandparents, George and Viola Myers. Survivors include wife of 23 years, Molly Brown Myers; sons, Jimmy Walker and wife, Misty; John Myers; daughter, Jenny Myers and Todd Coning; and our other daughter, Krista Hubbard; grandchildren, Tyler, Samantha, Alyssa and Sydney; parents, mother, JoAnn Myers; brother, David Myers and wife, Karen; nieces, Katie and Kelly Myers and mother-in-law, Justapearl Brown. The family will receive friends from 5:00-8:00 p.m. Monday in the chapel of Berry Funeral Home, Chapman Highway, with funeral service to follow at 8:00 p.m. Family and friends will meet at Berry Funeral Home on Tuesday at 9:15 and go in procession to Sim’s Cemetery for 10:00 a.m. interment services. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Heart Association, 4708 Papermill Drive, Knoxville, Tennessee 37909 or to Shriner’s Hospital for Children c/o Kerbela Temple, P.O. Box 868, Knoxville, Tennessee 37901.
Submitted by: Gloria Motter from the Daily Times 10-1-2007
H. H. Law
Law, Henry Houston (Huse) – age 96, of Knoxville, passed away Wednesday, November 29, 2000, at his home. He was born September 12, 1904, in Cades Cove to James A. and Mary Cable Law. He was the grandson of James Valentine Cable, owner of Cable Mill in Cades Cove and James Henry and Matilda Carroll Law. Retired from Southern Railroad. Preceded in death by wife, Nola Mae and son, Raymond. Survivors: granddaughters, Vivian Huffaker of Knoxville, Brenda Dencer of Washington D.C.; grandsons, Justin, Terry and Larry Law of Knoxville, Rod Law of Blaine; 10 great-grandchildren, four great-great grandchildren. Family and friends will meet at Clarks Grove Cemetery at 10 a.m. Saturday for graveside service. Rev. Irby Russell officiating. Friends may call at their convenience at Mynatt’s Funeral Home.Submitted by Rod Law

Home II Membership II Cades Cove Items II Email II Museum Photos II Site Map
Hugh R. Oliver

Colonel, United States Air Force 
From a press report: 2 May 2002:
Hugh R. Oliver, a descendent of the first permanent white settler in Cades Cove, died Monday, April 29, 2002, at Anderson Memorial Hospital South Carolina at age 78.

Oliver, a retired United States Air Force Colonel, was born in Cades Cove June 1, 1923, in what is now part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. He was the son of John W. and Nancy Ann Whitehead Oliver.

He earned a law degree from the University of Tennessee. He served as a fighter pilot in Italy during World War II and was recalled in 1950 to fly in the Korean War. He had worldwide assignments until he retired in 1974.

Oliver served as the executive director of the Tournament Players Division of the Professional Golf Association. He was co-author of "Sketches of the Olivers'' and "The Story of John Oliver's Cabin, Pioneer Footprints.''

Survivors include: wife Margaret T. Oliver; daughters, Sara Millener and Martha Whittier, all of Greenville, South Carolina; sister, Johnnie Weber of Knoxville; five grandchildren.

Visitation will be from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. today, and the funeral service will be at 11 am  at The Mackey Mortuary, Greenville, S.C. Burial services will be held at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, D.C.

In lieu of flowers memorials may be made to the Oliver Reunion Association c/o Dawn Peters, 168 Laurel Ridge Road, Jonesborough, TN 37659 or the
Cades Cove Preservation Association, P.O. Box 213, Alcoa, Tennessee 37701.
Lee Roy Coada

Lee Roy Coada, age 83 of Maryville, passed away Monday, November 12, 2007 at Colonial Hills Nursing Center. He was born January 3, 1924 in Cades Cove. Preceded in death by wife Roxie Byrd Coada; parents, John C. Coada and Mary Jane Cable Coada; brothers, Arvil Ray Coada and Jerry T. Coada. He belonged to several military organizations, military order of Purple Heart in which he held positions of Chapter Adjutant, Jr. Vice Commander, Sr. Vice Commander, Chapter Commander, Commander for the State of TN and national representative. He was also a member of the United Veterans of Blount County in which he held offices of Jr. Vice Commander, Sr. Vice Commander, Commander of Chapter 76. He fought with the U.S. Army in WWII receiving the Purple Heart.
He was a charter member of Cades Cove preservation Association, he worked diligently in the Cove to preserve the cemeteries and buildings for future generations for enjoy. Cades Cove was very dear to him as well as the many friends he worked with in that organization. Survived by children, Patricia of Maryville, Dennis of Tallassee, and Lynn of Madisonville; grandchildren, Alan Hall and wife Donna of Cave Spring, GA, Angela Hall of Gulfport, MS, Charnell Blankenship and husband Keith of Englewood, TN, Charono Sherman and husband Steve of Pensacola, FL, Jason Coada and Aaron Coada both of Maryville; eight great-grandchildren, sisters, Faye Johnson and Johnnie Shinpaugh both of Maryville, Mary Ruth Hunt of Mesa, AZ, June Jones of Waynesville, NC; brother, Leon Coada and wife Ophelia of Knoxville; a host of nieces and nephews. The family wishes to thank Dr. James Milhollin Jr. MD, Dr. Teresa Catron MD, the staff at Blount Memorial Hospital and Morning View and a very caring staff at Colonial Hills Nursing Center and Hospice. Funeral service 8:00 p.m. Wednesday November 14, 2007 at Miller Funeral Home, Magnolia Chapel Rev. Dan Bartl, Rev. Glenn Grubb and Alan Hall officiating. Family and friends will meet at Sherwood Memorial Gardens Mausoleum Chapel at 1:00 p.m. Thursday for the entombment service with military honors. Family will receive friends from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. Wednesday at Miller Funeral Home, Maryville.   Submitted by Gloria Motter from The Daily Times 11-14-07
Roy Coada